nelson mandela and my real-life inspirations
one of my favorite quotes is from nelson mandela. it’s my favorite not because i get it, and i live this way. but because i don’t. i find it to be so true, so convicting, and so challenging. i WANT to be this.
We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?’ Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won’t feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
there are some people in my life, some close and others distant, which have given me permission to do what i like doing. these are the people, whether i live close to them or not, who i admire and study. i thought i’d give an exhaustive list. i knoooooow this might undermine my super-genius-i-think-up-everything-on-my-own-because-i’m-just-THAT-AWESOME -ness, and…. well good! but really, a healthy web of inspirations and supporters is integral to ANY creative out there.
- jess ray – raleigh – master of song structure and lyric, admirable woman in the business, scriptural song without musical compromise. also one of my dearest friends. the fact that i knew her when she had a middle-part and braces does not affect my musical admiration.
- campbell – charlotte – soaring melodies, dramaticism, and super satisfying live performance. also hilarious and debonair band members.
- brooke waggoner – nashville – champion in the songwriting arena. super enviable lyrics and melodies! also, general pretty things all over. i don’t know her but she is absolutely notable in my songwriting inspiration!
- alexis worthington – charlotte – proficiency in songwriting, fearless gigmeister. even though she’s in boone at the moment, it has not stopped her writing and playing out.
- shelly moore – charlotte/raleigh – creativity in multiple arenas, always pushing the lines of what she can do, poetic lyricism (noteworthy blog)
- andrew palamara – nashville – beautiful songwriter, very careful and meticulous lyrics, constant supporter of local musicians (noteworthy blog)
- kelsey kopecky – nashville – truly lets her own light shine, as mandela describes. unique songwriting, incorporates her music into her life and vice versa, homemade (noteworthy song, “making people wait”) ALSO she’s a-dor-able!!
- brooke fraser – newzealand – okaaaay, i don’t know her either. but i love the way she carries herself in her music. she is approachable and bold, confident and soft. i love the way she did her new album, the process, i mean. going away to the nc mountains, writing in solitude, conceptual art. i love it. most of all, she’s not afraid to admit her inspirations, hence, this post. (NOTEWORTHY BLOG!!!) also i love her.
there it is folks. more info to follow on EP progress (and nether-progress, and progress again, and it all being okay)